Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Feeling Festive?

Yes, I did it, I used the 'F' word, I could have happily used the 'C' word too.

I know it's only just September, and yes,  I realise I am the wrong side of 12 years old to be excited, but...."My name is Sarah, and I'm a Christmas-holic."

I'm not alone, oh no. (ho,ho,ho!) I justify those pangs of excitement I feel as the Yuletide approaches in a number of ways...

1) ....if it's good enough for Selfridges it's good enough for me.

Selfridges on Oxford Street brought Christmas to London back in July, a mere 151 days before Christmas Day. It's not that the big wigs at the world-famous department store are as excited about candy canes, mince pies and wrapping paper in the same way as I am, they're more bothered about cashing in on the tourist trade and profit Christmas can bring (in the Summer!).

Christmas arrives in July at Selfridges, London
Really, 151 days isn't that long is it? I mean, there is SO much to do before then. I mean, if I am actually going to make a Christmas pudding or super-rich cake this year, I'm going to have to start soon aren't I? Plus, to avoid the annual melt down of present buying and manic wrapping, it's totally sensible to think about it now too.  

Selfridges isn't alone in hanging the mistletoe and ivy and banging out the carols this side of Halloween either. Other 'shopaholic Meccas,  Liberty of London and Harrods, already have their wonderful Christmas worlds open too.  

The Selfridges online Christmas store is open too..
What's more, I can indulge in my guilty, childhood excitement by choosing my baubles and bells on the Selfridges website, right now! 

2) The 'official' Twitter countdown to Christmas has started - @OfficialSanta is counting down (It's currently 103 sleeps 'till Christmas) with lots more festive themed tweets happening all over the twittersphere! I'm also following the @Hyde Park Elves (from the amazing Winter Wonderland) and the @North Pole Post ....to name a few!

3) I secretly never take my Christmas playlist off my iPod, so it's not that wrong to let the Pogues 'Fairytale of New York' play every now and again is it? (Press play, you know you want to!) 



4) M&S are stocking Mince Pies. Enough said. 

The list is endless, but the point is. It's totally okay to be excited, it's totally okay to be planning Christmas parties and I'm going to do it, I'm going to admit, I can't WAIT for the Coca-Cola 'Holidays are coming' advert to hit my television.

So, when can I book my panto tickets and arrange a trip to Winter Wonderland in Hyde Park



No comments: