Monday, October 17, 2011

For the love of Jam...

I am a huge jam fan and nothing tingles my taste buds more than a deliciously sweet home-made jam.

Whether it's drizzled on ice cream in the Summer or to melt into steaming porridge as the mornings get colder, there is nothing that takes me back to childhood more than a home-made jam.

Mayflower's Apple and Damson Jam
When I visited my friends at Mayflower Events in the Summer their kitchen was a hive of activity with gorgeous vintage jars being filled up with red syrupy goodness and a pan on the cooker, releasing the sweet smell of apples and damsons boiling in sugar. It could only mean one thing. Jam time.

Mayflower's Apple and Damson jam wasn't quite ready back then, so I waited patiently until my very own jar arrived on my doorstep this month...

Vintage style jar with handwritten label completes the package

It was worth the wait. It tasted just like I thought it would, the right amount of sweetness with the delicate taste of the damsons. It was like a complete Summer country harvest in a jar.

A swirl was just the thing to finish off my first bowl of porridge this Autumn, served with seeds, dried mixed fruit and goji berries. A perfect start to any October morning if you ask me.


Delicious swirled into porridge 

It's not going to last long in our house though, it's perfect on a doorstep slice of toast and I am sure there's been talk of scones being baked especially for it....now where is the clotted cream?

You NEED to try in on a slice of crusty white bread too.

Follow Mayflower Events on Twitter HERE or on Facebook HERE or visit their brand new website HERE 





No comments: