Friday, October 07, 2011

Meet Herman the German..

...the friendship cake.

So a couple of days ago my Mum passed me a portion of Herman. I remember getting Herman when I was younger and being fascinated by looking after him, so I was excited when I spotted the tea-towel-covered bowl on my Mum's kitchen side.

Herman is a sour dough 'chain cake' which 'lives' in your kitchen for 10 days, before you pass him on to three friends to keep the chain going and bake you're own cake.

Today I am entering into Day 4 as Herman's carer and need to remember to feed him. I couldn't deal with killing off a cake, plus, how could I let my friends miss out on raising their very own Herman?

Herman and his blanket!

Herman bubbling away in my kitchen - he's still alive!


Here are the instructions I received with my little pot of Herman...

Hello, my name is Herman.

I am a sourdough cake. I'm supposed to sit on your worktop for 10 days without a lid on.
You CANNOT put me in the fridge or I will die. If I stop bubbling, I am dead.

Day 1 -You get Herman and put him in a large mixing bowl and cover loosely with a tea towel.

Day 2 -Stir well
Day 3 - Stir well

Day 4 - Herman is hungry. Add 1 cup each of plain flour, sugar and milk. Stir well.
Day 5 - Stir well
Day 6 - Stir well
Day 7 - Stir well
Day 8- Stir well

Day 9 - He's Hungry again. Add the same as day 4 and stir well. Divide into 4 equal portions and give away to friends with a copy of these instructions. Keep the 4th one.

Day 10 -Herman is very hungry. Stir well and add the following:

1 cup sugar
half tsp (teaspoon) salt
2 cups plain flour
2/3 (two thirds) cup of cooking oil
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla essence
2 cooking apples cut into chunks
1 cup raisins
2 heaped tsp cinnamon
2 heaped tsp baking powder.

Mix everything together and put into a large greased baking tin. 

Sprinkle with a quarter of a cup of brown sugar and a quarter of a cup of melted butter. Bake for 45 minutes at 170-180C. When cold cut into finger pieces. Cake freezes well and is also delicious warm with cream or ice-cream.

3 comments:

Shaheen said...

This made me smile - thanks for introducing us to Herman the German.

K said...

That reminds me of Amish friendship bread - which means good memories :)

Sarah Robertson said...

Glad you've been introduced to Herman - he's on day 6 over here now...can't wait to pass him on to family and friends!